Let's All Do The Shrink

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Let's All Do The Shrink

Post  Anna Morphic on Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:24 pm

A long way back,Isla and i started LEA.Once we'd registered the guild,we sat down and decided what form we wanted it to take.We wanted a place that was friendly,helpful,and had a general get-along atmosphere.At the time we started playing,i can remember a lot of guilds recruiting and not really catering for the new guy.
I know when i started playing,i was pretty upset by the way people talked to and about new players.For a long time i kept myself to myself until Isla started playing.As in the real world,people in Guild Wars can be pretty darn cruel sometimes.
Now......I'm the kind of person who either does something,or they don't.There's no in-between.So...i recruited like a person gone mental.I was determined we would be the best and nicest place for new players to come to.I also wanted them to have plenty of people to play the game with.
Unfortunatly,you don't always get what you aim for.So,it's pretty much crunch time for us.
For a while now,we have been weighing up the idea of shrinking the guild.It's not a case of wanting to,but what's the point of having 80 people who never play in the Guild?
Every time i get someone to join,the first thing they ask is "where is everyone,and why do you have guys who hav'nt been on for weeks?" In short,after putting up my mega recruiting message in a town and then getting them here and finding there's only four people on,i quite honestly feel like an idiot.There's this poor new guy who thinks he's joined some great guild where he's going to have all those people to interact with,loads of people to help him and guide him through the game,and they ar'nt here because a tornado ate thier p.c (or some other excuse).
I won't be recruiting ever again,and as people leave i won't be replacing them.We have a small core of people who come on regularly,and they know who they are.To be honest,i don't need to spend my entire weekend recruiting loads of people who never play.(I once actually spent 10 hours straight in piken and ascalon recruiting).Okay,that's my fault.I'm mornic enough to believe people actually want to play this game,and stupid enough to believe they'll come on once in a while.That's my fault.But this is where it stops.
If people want to leave,if they believe it's any better elsewhere,then that's thier choice.I know we have a small group of about 15 people who are regular,and once the others have all gone or been kicked because they hav'nt been on in months,then that group is what we will stick with.
There are a few who will not be on for a while,but we know why and we will wait for them.That's fair enough.
I will admit,i'm really dissapointed at the way things have gone.Isla,Nandi and lots of others have put time and patience into this guild,and i'm sorry to say it has'nt worked out.Lea will continue,and hopefully we'll be better for it.

Anna X.
Anna Morphic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's All Do The Shrink

Post  Chimiko [lea] on Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:41 pm

Maybe it's not the worst thing to do.
I felt changes when I came back online after moving house. The alliance chat has become so quiet, the GH is empty as is the guild channel most of the time. Is it me, the early winter or has it really gotten sort of colder?
It makes me sad, this emptiness, the silence. People staying away, people coming online and not even greeting, people joining us with hopes being disappointed...
Maybe it will get a lil better, if we are - by time - being reduced to a core consisting of people who really care about the guild, not only officers, but also members.
We do have great people in our guild, some of them have been away for a long time. Their absence pains me, pains us, doesn't look good in the rooster - still I'll gladly wait for them to return. Cynn, Oda, Gracie, just to name a few. So no problem for me if they are still in the list and not kicked, even though they've been away for 1-3 months. They took part in conversation, playing and activities, cared for the guild, they are part of the family.
It would be great to have a whole bunch of members like them, but of the ~80 members we actually have only ca. 20 ever say something. I'm afraid new members will be sort of irritated by this and in the end they leave (as mentioned above: maybe even disappointed).
Let's see where it'll lead us, this shrinking.
It might give us the opportunity to - so to speak - rise again from the ashes and then be able to give ppl a place where there are neither emptiness nor awful silence.
Chimiko [lea]

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna Morphic on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:20 am

Well said Chim.
One of the great things about Guild Wars,is it is so interactive.I always hoped that's something that the Guild would emphasise.
I know people can't always be on...i know people can't always chat when they're on a mission.What they can do is be friendly,
helpful and try to encourage new players.The big problem we always had was leavers,people who came on once then never
showed again for months,and people who thought the grass was greener in someone else's Guild.
It's very hard to convince new guys that we have a great Guild when 60 of our 80 members never come on.Most people
seem to think this game is called "Do it on your own Wars".We are a Guild.No one player is any more important than any other.
But without the players,we don't ammount to a whole lot.
One thing i am glad to say right now,is that our Officer problem is a thing of the past.I always used to get myself uptight about
our Officers lack of interest in the Guild.I honestly can say both Isla and i are really happy with the ones we have now.
Nowdays the BIG problem,is getting members to come to the Guild and stay there.
That's where the shrinking idea came from really.We have a handful of members who seem pretty into the game,and are happy
(we hope) with the Guild they have joined.I figure if we can keep them interested,and our Officers are online a fair bit,then we
can still have a good Guild,chat,and all have fun.
Here's hoping........Anna X.
Anna Morphic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top